Leadership Training Workshop on DEI and Belonging
Leaders shine when they bring people of different backgrounds, talents, and opinions together. The knowledge presented in this workshop goes far beyond the traditional Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion training. It provides an unambiguous, scientific explanation of what divides people and what pulls them together.
- What is missing in prevailing DEI efforts?
- Why does DEI training fail to change people’s behavior?
He facilitates this one-of-a-kind workshop to empower his audiences by demonstrating what pulls us apart and brings us together. He provides a new lens to examine social harmony and conflicts. New and experienced leaders can rely on science and apply actionable insights to bridge various divides to reach their goals.
Workshop: Advance Culture and DEI with Belonging
Based on decades of Neuroscience research, it is evident that our brains seek group belonging and group identity. Wherever there are groups, there is Us, and there is Them. Such Us-vs-Them divisions happen automatically without our conscious awareness. Exploitation and weaponization of this vulnerability have caused tremendous harm.
This interactive workshop is packed with spellbinding scientific information. Its content is inspiring and powerful.
- Discover Our Fundamental Desire for Safety: The human brain evolved to seek group affiliation because groups mean better protection and more resources.
- Examine the Role of Group Identity: Humans have multiple group identities that play a vital role in shaping emotions and behavior.
- Become Aware of How We Categorize People: Humans identify Us and Them subconsciously based on similarity, proximity, and familiarity.
- Explore How We Judge Us and Them: The brain sees Us and Them very differently. Negative emotions arise when seeing Them and lead to hostilities and aggression.
- Reduce Us-vs-Them Divisions with Belonging: Research has provided valuable tools to cultivate belonging and bring together people of all backgrounds and talents.
- Gain Insights into the Dynamic of Us-vs-Them: With multiple group memberships, the line between Us and Them constantly shifts, influencing our behavior.
Target Audiences and Details:
- New and seasoned leaders of all levels.
- All employees, especially HR professionals.
- The workshop lasts 3-4 hours.
- The ideal audience size is 10 to 50 participants.
Apply the Science of Belonging
For several decades, DEI initiatives and training have cost hundreds of billions of dollars. However, those hefty investments have yielded limited results. Some DEI efforts intend to preempt lawsuits and meet quotas. Others rely on outdated and divisive practices that drive various groups further apart.
DEI won’t deliver without fostering a sense of belonging. To humans, belonging means safety. It is as critical as food and water. Cultivating belonging is much more than paying lip service. Instead, it requires a deep understanding of what turns Them into Us.
Dr. Terry Wu turns the Science of Belonging into easy-to-implement practices for leaders. He delivers his insights through interactive and thought-provoking presentations and workshops. He guides leaders to apply science-proven strategies to build strong teams, cultures, and DEI efforts.